• Steve R.

Nitto NT-01 at NJMSP

Anyone have these on their car? I am looking into getting these and trying to keep costs reasonable. I am new to tracking my car, 2016 FR-S, and I pretty much destroyed the stock tires and don't want to be unsafe and continue running intermediate with them. Just looking for general experiences and opinions on them. I may just track the car 1-2 times month. I live in Southern NJ so the track temps can vary from month to month.  Thanks for any info

• Post to Thread
    • James H.

I'm looking at this Toyo tires as well since I've read lots of great reviews and performance. Bridgestone RE-71r is on my list either.

• Steve R.

So after 14 sessions my Prius tires are officially toast!! this is good timing since this was the last track night at NJMP. I only got 2 sessions in and the tires are so wrecked. It's my DD so I gotta have something left on them. It didn't help when the car infront of me went off track and threw sand and pebbles onto the track which caused me to ice skate into a 360 deg spin. I was not happy but it happens. Tires are a must and track specific tires are what i'm going to go with since i'm just faster than my tires. I don't want double duty tires, DD and track, could get expensive. I hope SCCA switches between tracks because the same track is getting boring but I want to get comfortable with it also with the track tires. I lowered my pressures and that helped some. Once I get the tires I'll post on here my findings, may not be for a while and might be specific for my model car, FR-S, BRZ but if it helps someone that's a plus!

• Jay Dee C.

I have never tried the Bridgestone's or the Hankook's so I won't compare or say one is better.  I can only comment on my experience.

I have NT-01's on my Miata.  This was my first season with them, and I really liked them.  I was previously on Cooper Zeon's with 380 treadware, and I saw a HUGE difference.   Once I got some heat in them, the grip was great.  I would absolutely buy them again.  For perspective, I have no power upgrades to my 1.6 Miata (so very underpowered).  Suspension upgrades are coilovers with 550/350 springs, Koni Sports, and Racing Beat Tube front sway bar.  I'm no longer running at the limit of the tires.  I set a new personal best at Thompson on each of my three track days this year.

• Tim Stein

You want the best grip out of a street tire - try the Bridgestone RE-71r. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Grip for days without going to an R compound.

• Greg Lee

Check out the Hankook TD's.  In my option better than the NT01 and a little cheaper.  Also the number one tire in Time Attack.  

• Steve R.

Thanks, I'll have to research them.  :)

• Brian D.

I've done a few HPDE events and my instructors strongly advised me not to get into R compound tires right away.  Learn how to drive first.  Don't let R compounds mask bad tendencies.  Also I'm not into hauling tires or trailering my car.  Driving to events is very convenient and inexpensive way to approach this hobby.  I run Z rated Hancook street tires on my M3 and want for nothing.  Around 800 a set.  

• Steve R.

Thanks for the info, I want to get dedicated tires for the track though, I just am faster than my tires and after 12 sessions the stock tires just have no more to give...lol I am looking forward to dedicated tires and just curious how they grip on Thunderbolt and Lightning.