• carl h.

define "street car"?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this one...  

I have an e30 bmw that we originally setup as a 24 hours of lemons car, ran one race and decided that venue was not for us.  We have since made the car street legal, full exhaust w cat, muffler, headlights, turn signals, passenger seat.  It has a stock drive train, and spec e30 suspension.  It's not even that "lemon-ish" looking anymore. :)  It's registered and insured, and I drive it to work often.

Here's the rub, it has a gutted interior and full cage.  Switch panel ignition.  I know the organizers want to keep "race cars" away and keep these events for newer drivers with non-prepped street cars.  I'm really hoping to get on track, as these TNIA events sound really fun.

Can anyone advise whether or not I'll be allowed to run?

• Post to Thread
    • Red Sonja

I have a pretty stock 2007 Miata with PSS10 coilovers running 17x8 w/ Nitto NT001's and a competition seat (fixed, Al) w/ a six pt harness for safety.  Should there be a problem with this setup??

• nope- sounds perfect!

• carl h.

Update:

I should have posted sooner, but better late than never!

Ran at first T hill track night, no problem getting teched.  The tech inspector was really friendly about talking shop and informing me about SCCA classifications.  I was surprised to see a Chump Car prepped Acura running on track.  Glad to not be the only funky car out there!  There were definitely some nice cars out there though, from s2000s, to M3s, late model Mustangs, couple of Porsches.  Nice mix.  I know they would've wanted more people to show, but I really liked the small run groups.

I have to admit I was one of the slower cars, even had a little trouble with overheating (coolant AND brakes!).  It was great to have a safe place to really hammer on the car and find out just how much I could push it.  Tons of fun, slow or not.

Anyway, I'll be back May 14, hope see more folks out there!

• Trevor Alexander Hermance

Sounds to me like it would be ok, I hope to eventually enter a street-legal multi-purpose car eventually myself. I look at "street car" as anything that retains the stock safety and civilization features that allowed it to be sold as a register able vehicle in the first place. Especially if you think it'll still get outpaced by a Shelby GT500, Corvette or Porsche that would be likely to show for one of these, you're probably fine.

• Jeff H.

Considering there will be folks with 600+hp off the showroom cars driven by people with zero experience, I think it would be ridiculous if you were prevented from running.  Assuming your switch panel has an OFF position, I would just sign up if I were you.  Your car is going to be slower than many cars and safer with the cage.  I can only imagine the ban on race prepped cars is to make it less intimidating to new participants and nobody is going to be intimidated by your ex-Lemon BMW.

• carl h.

Thanks!

email sent, fingers crossed...

• John Steflik

Good question - I think your best bet is to shoot an email off to eligibility@tracknightinamerica.com to see what they say.  My best guess is that you will be OK as it has a muffler, is licensed and insured, working lights, etc..  Sounds like a street car to me.  Send an email or show up and see what tech says.  Good luck! 

• Jon Raymond Krolewicz

If anyone finds this, Jack is taing over the "eligibility" e-mail, so if you have a question, just "Ask Jack" - jack@tracknightinamerica.com