• John K.

BMW Z3 Convertible OK?

I was interested in signing up for one of the events at Thompson Speedway Motorsports Park and wanted to first check if the factory roll hoops on my 2000 BMW M Roadster (Z3) would pass tech.  Full disclosuure that my helmet sits above the roll hoop and wouldn't pass the typical broom stick test.  BMWCCA doesn't allow us anywhere near the track with these cars and we are limited to Autocross events only. 

Thanks is advance,

John

• Post to Thread
    • Mike B.

Hey John,

Mike from the NY chapter here. Was your profile pic from the Boston Chapter ACCC at Lime Rock? I was up there instructing for Matt and the guys last month.

Are they 'active hoops' on your car? Meaning, in the event of a rollover would they extend like the Audi roadsters?

If they are static hoops and don't pass the broomstick test, it might not pass tech. Even if it did however, as a matter of your personal safety you might want to reconsider using that particular car for a track day. For what it's worth, we did have a Cobra run at the last Thompson event but I didn't see the driver in the car to know for sure where the hoops sat.

-Mike

• John K.

Yes, my profile picture is my car on the skid pad at Lime Rock although was from last years Connecticut Valley Chapter event which I attend again this year.  I tried signing up for the April Boston Chapter event but, ended up on the wait list however, I'll be at the summer ACCC event for sure.

With regards to the roll hoops, the Z3's are static.

Thanks,

John