Jeff A.

Jeff A.

Had a BLAST at Track Night in America at Thompson last night. SCCA runs a great program, highly recommend! - updated
0 Comments - More updates

• Jeff A.

Track Night at Thompson 5/6/15

Cheap racing. Inexpensive track day. Words that, until recently, were complete oxymorons (or used by morons...). Racing has always been considered to be expensive, and for a privileged few. Thanks to the SCCA and its incredible Track Night in America program, that is no longer the case.

I have been a racing fan for decades (yup, I'm old). To say that racing has been in my veins would be an understatement. I have skipped, ah, um, "been sick" on workdays just to stay home and watch IMSA or Pirelli WC racing. I have driven by myself, hundreds of miles, to go attend F1 races in North America and Canada. Only now, late in my life, have I been able to participate in some great racing schools and track events. But, the one thing that always eluded me was a car to drive, and a track cheap enough to rent for a day. Finding a car would be easy, renting a track? Well, that's a whole different story.

After joining the SCCA last year, I decided to get a cheap "track day only" car. My budget was tight, but my parameters were clear. Rear drive, manual gears, sporty enough to have fun in. After getting a great deal on a small BMW, I signed up for my first Track Night event at Thompson Speedway Motorsport Park in CT.

Upon arrival, I was nervous. I saw cars that I knew would destroy my bone stock 323ci on a track. Two 911 GT3's, Corvettes, an M235, and plenty more. Once I parked and wiped the sweat off my brow, I quickly realized that most of these people were just racing enthusiasts, much like me. They weren't out there to terrorize the Novice people, they were kind enough to open up about their experiences, lend some advice, show off their amazing vehicles (that Cobra was pretty kick ass), and ensure us "rookies" had a good time.

Same goes for the awesome Track Night staff. Made me feel comfortable, and wanted my feedback at the end of the night, encouraging me to come back for more.

If anyone is reading this and STILL has doubts about going to a Track Night in America event, don't. Sign up, and have a blast. This is just what the racing enthusiast world has been waiting for. No where else will you get four hours of instruction, track time, and be surrounded by a passionate group of people. Can't wait for the next one.

Jeff

• Post to Thread